The Gallery at The Cultch is a community focused space dedicated to providing progressive art to the residents of Vancouver’s East Side. It consists of two spaces, the Cafe Hallway and Lobby, and exhibits 30 – 40 artists every year. Like The Cultch itself, The Gallery’s mandate is to contribute to the enrichment of our city and community’s social and cultural life. Our particular goal is to create a strong visual art presence in the area and to engage the community with new contemporary art from established and emerging artists.
To purchase art from the gallery or to receive gallery updates from The Gallery at The Cultch, please contact us at email@example.com.
2018-19 Exhibition Schedule
In-House: Artworks by Staff and Volunteers at The Cultch
- August 8-25 / Opening reception August 8 from 6-8pm
Works by Thomas Anfield
- August 28 – September 22 / Opening reception August 29 from 6-8pm
Spaces, Places, and Traces: Eastside Culture Crawl Preview Show
- October 30 – November 17 / Opening reception November 1 from 6-8pm
Works by Ilze Bebris and M.A. Tateishi
- November 20 – December 29 / Opening reception November 21 from 6-8pm
Works by Carolina De la Cajiga and K8L35 (Kate MacDonald and Les Sears)
- January 3 – 26, 2019 / Opening reception January 9 from 6-8pm
Works by Lorna Schwenk and Mat Holmstrom
- January 29 – March 2 / Opening reception January 30 from 6-8pm
Works by Lee Gerlach and TBA
- March 12 – 30 / Opening reception March 13 from 6-8pm
Works by Kathleen Ainscough and Mary Lottridge
- April 2 – 27 / Opening reception April 3 from 6-8pm
Artworks from the IGNITE! Youth Driven Festival
- April 30 – May 25 / Opening reception May 1 from 6-8pm
Artworks by August Bramhoff and the “City Squares” project by Martha Jablonski-Jones, John Steil, and Judy Villett
- May 30 – June 29 / Opening reception May 29 from 6-8pm
Monday- Saturday: 12-4
Open 1 hour prior to performances.
Or go to the box office to gain access to the gallery during regular gallery hours
The Cultch is wheelchair accessible.
How to exhibit with The Cultch:
The Gallery at The Cultch invites and encourages visual artists to submit an application for possible inclusion in our 2019/2020 exhibition season. Each exhibition is 3 to 5 weeks long, between August 2019 and June 2020.
Located just east of Commercial Drive, The Cultch (Vancouver Eastside Cultural Centre) has built a reputation over the past 45 years as one of Western Canada’s most innovative and exciting presenting venues. The mandate of The Cultch is to contribute to the enrichment of our city and community’s social and cultural life through the presentation of innovative programs of contemporary music, theatre, dance and visual arts by established and emerging artists.
The Gallery at The Cultch is a multi-use space and not a traditional art gallery. It serves as the lobby and bar for all performances and is occasionally used for meetings and other small events. Due to the diverse nature of this space we ask that submissions do not include sculpture or free-standing art as we are not able to accommodate this type of work. We will only show works that hang from our gallery “rail” hanging system, and do not have more than a 12″ depth.
Please note that only complete submissions will be considered. Please ensure that you have included all of the materials requested with the proper formatting and naming:
- An artist statement about your work in general
- Resume or CV, which includes all of your contact information
- A complete list of images you are submitting, which should include title, size, medium. These images do not have to be the work you will be showing. We want to get a good overview of your work.
- Up to 10 images can be submitted. All files should be named with the artists name, title of work and size. Here is an example: Yuri Arajs – Sunny Day – 18×30.jpg
Images should be 300 dpi and no bigger than 8″ in any direction.
Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put 2019/2020 application in the subject line
Deadline for applications is May 31, 2019
Artists will be notified in June 2019 on the results of the selection process.
Jurors: Richard Tetrault, Artist; Heather Redfern, Executive Director at The Cultch; Yuri Arajs, Gallery Coordinator at The Cultch
If you have any questions contact Gallery Coordinator Yuri Arajs at email@example.com